Saturday, March 12, 2005

Careful Skeptic

A close friend once called me
a careful skeptic. Miracles don't come
from eggs, I might say, chickens do.
One morning I talked to a young man
who had broken up with the mother of his child;
He cried about not seeing the baby
and the loss of equilibrium
forced by his confusion.
More than forty years of life
have given me some place in this space.
So we talked about dignity, of the values that
keep one strong when everything else falls apart;
He listened, began to smile, said he would try,
and left, paying for breakfast.
I'm sure he wished an angel would stride with him through the windswept road.
I don't know about angels; I do know
the miracle germinating at any crossroads
is what's learned

- Luis J. Rodriguez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home