Sunday, February 13, 2005

REcord

re-
pref.

Again


I'm not sure just how many takes an average song requires in the studio prior to finally meeting the high standards of those recording it, but I do know the number of times I've had to re-record many of the songs I've written (don't ask), and in all honesty I don't believe I have ever been completely satisfied with any of them. Eh. I really can't say that. I've been perfectly satisfied with them ... as long as I'm the only one that has the opportunity to listen. *wink*

My music is an extremely personal thing, as I'm sure it is for any musician, or any artist for that matter. So much of myself, my personality, the very traits that make me the person I am go into my work that the idea of someone else criticizing that work borders on criticism of the deepest, most intimate portions of my soul.

Not that anyone's opinion is ever invalid. Opinion is necessary. It's what keeps us from just being clones of one another. But, you gotta admit, criticism can sting. Anyone that says it doesn't is either a liar or a ... well, no, they're just a liar.

Maybe I've just been burned one too many times by the people closest to me, but showing off anything I do musically is unequivically the most nerve-wracking experience I've ever been subject too.

I suppose I'm just insecure. Just talking it out is reassuring.


More and more I'm getting to a point that I just don't care what people think. I just write for fun, and as long as I enjoy this outlet then ... who cares. But every once in a while I remember the sting, and all I can do is pull the covers back over my head and pray that sleep comes quickly...




Bet you felt like a big man when you crushed my dreams
aspirations of a life you never wanted me to lead
trap me here
rusted cage
held you tight
but I can't stay

~the weets

*

4 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger hmrpita said...

As you said:
re-, red-. Latin for back, againBut also:

cord-, cor. Latin for heartYou are showing your heart again.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger hmrpita said...

Dang, I didn't leave spaces. But you get the idea. I do not like that I cannot edit my comments.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Hey bud, just noticed your blog. Don't have alot of time, but just wanted to say, you rock, music rocks, and don't let anyone take that or your happiness in it away from you.

Isn't it wonderful, though, to have this outlet for expression? I know I personally enjoy having a place to put my thoughts..(those few times when I actually add content to my barren wasteland of a blog).

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger angelo said...

Heh. I like that. Showing your heart again. That's nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home