Friday, February 18, 2005

Angelo cries.

Well, for those of you that didn't know, I drove up to my school at 6:00a.m. to get my hair braided into cornrows. I know, I know, I'm white...

My buddy and I made a deal, the next time he went to get his hair all fancy, I'd do the same. So I, being a man of my word, awoke at first light and drove thirty minutes to work so that one of the ladies there could assist me in completing my end of the bargain.

All seemed well and fine in the beginning. I had been warned repeatedly that it would hurt due to the simple fact that the hair has to be pulled taught to create the tight look of cornrows, but in my experience, while there was definitely some slight discomfort, pain would be an exaggeration. I should have realized that the project was not going well when Barbara first sighed slightly.

Apparently, African American hair is able to retain the tight braids, due to it's 'nappiness,' much more effectively then the average white guy's hair (aka me). My hair is too 'slippery' and consistently came loose.

So now, I have to go to a 'professional' (man, lots of quotie fingers today) and have weave added to give the additional hold necessary for the style...

After staying up till 2:00a.m. and waking a mere three hours later, I really don't care to think about finding someone else right now, but I'm sure once my buddy notices that I don't have rows of braids running the length of my head he'll immediately be on the phone contacting each and every female he knows that can cornrow.

*

4 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger krystyn said...

quotie fingers is so the name of my next band.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger krystyn said...

Also, I am sorry it didn't happen this morning! Dang.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Dave (Dasro) said...

Doesn't "quotie fingers" sound like some dude who's just sick at jazz piano? Maybe that's just me ;-). And man, I'm so disappointed! I was really looking forward to those pictures ;-). And I've been using "winky face" alot. Actually, he should play with Quotie Fingers sometime. I bet they'd make a mean combo. "Tonight, at the club, we've got the musical stylings of Quotie Fingers on piano, accompanied by Winky Face on the bass"

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger angelo said...

Only if you throw in monkey hat man on guitar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home